Thursday, May 24, 2007

The What of Our Preaching

This afternoon I heard Calvin Miller speak on preaching at the Festival of Homiletics (more on that at a later post). He quoted Ian Watson to say "The what of our preaching is more important than the how." That seems like Preaching 101, but its application also seems to be in short supply. I am not dissing style and method. Lord knows, we need to do better in that area. But the biggest condemnation I can imagine coming from our Lord on judgment day is "You preached well, but…why didn't you tell the whole truth?"

In their blog on Preaching a couple of guys known only as Peter & Mike [http://biblicalpreaching.wordpress.com] (Mike is from Portland!) quote Howard Hendricks in his book The Seven Laws of the Teacher, where he refers to an English bishop who said, “You know, wherever the apostle Paul went, they had a riot or a revival. Wherever I go, they serve tea.” (p165.)

One of my struggles is that people want to be “fed” and by that they usually mean they want to be reinforced in their prejudices. They want to be told what to think. They want to gain a heedful of knowledge without having to put it into application. Maybe I am getting off topic here a bit, although I don’t think so. The terror for me is when I (because of fear) reinforce those wrongheaded concepts.

The above three paragraphs have opened enough can of worms for me to blog on preaching for a long time!

No comments:

Visits Since Dec. 11, 2007