Saturday, July 14, 2007

I Don't Love I Cor 13 tonight

I am preaching on I Cor 13 this Sunday (tomorrow) and I hate my outline. I have often been told that the hardest passages to preach are the ones that are the most familiar to people in the pew and therefore they have both high expectations and preconceived notions of what you should/are going to say. (i.e. Ps. 23, I Cor 13, John 3:16 --although for some reason I have always LOVED preaching on John 3:16) Because of that, they almost think they can tune out during today's sermon because they know what is coming.

That is one of the reasons I hate my outline. It is totally predictable. It is like the American Heritage dictionary definition of love:
"Love (n.) A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from kinship, recognition of attractive qualities, or a sense of underlying oneness. [Middle English, from Old English lufu; see leubh- in Indo-European roots.]"

Oh yeah...that's the kind of love *I* want!

This outline is pretty much like it:
I. THE IMPORTANCE OF LOVE (1-3)
II. The Impeccability of Love (13:4–7)
III. The Indestructibility of Love (13:8–12)
IV. The Invincibility of Love (13:13) (Thank you Harold Wilmington)

Doesn't that outline suck!! It literally sucks the life out of that passage

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

Now THAT is inspired.
Maybe I should just read that and shut up & sit down.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Visits Since Dec. 11, 2007