Wednesday, July 18, 2007

So What Happened to I Cor 13?

If you have read any of my posts last week you know I was struggling with I Cor. 13. The outline I had on Thursday was going nowhere. Part of my problem was trying to take the whole chapter in one chunk. There is too much there to do in 30 min. And so I focussed on vv. 1-3. Love is more important than...
  • spiritual gifts
  • knowledge & prophecy
  • faith
  • generosity
  • accomplishments
I then ended with a much abbreviated application. I cut down the application because we were out of time. I was uncomfortable with that...but time seems to be paramount.

I began with a clip from the movie Moulin Rouge...I don't know if it worked or not. I thought it was a powerful statement. David Bowie sings the old Nat King Cole song "Nature Boy"
"There was a boy
A very strange enchanted boy

They say he wandered very far, very far

Over land and sea

A little shy and sad of eye

But very wise was he"


"And then one day
A magic day he passed my way

And while we spoke of many things
Fools and kings

This he said to me

"the greatest thing you’ll ever learn

Is just to love and be loved in return"


"the greatest thing you’ll ever learn

Is just to love and be loved in return"

While the song is being sung, there are aerial shots of Paris in 1900 (recreated) and it ends on the protagonist of the movie in tears in his upper garret typing the words to the last phrase: "the greatest thing you’ll ever learn; Is just to love and be loved in return" The point was to set the mood for the importance of love as seen in the above outline. I think it was too confusing for most people. They didn't seem to get it. It is always interesting when people react more to the movie from which I had drawn a clip than from than the content of the clip itself.

The most interesting response so far was from a lady (whom I like a lot) who volunteered in the office today who said she liked the sermon... "I was so relaxed at the end of it." Hmmmm. That's good...I think.....

As Mark Driscoll said in the post referenced previously: "After you've preached, let it go and sleep like a Calvinist."

No comments:

Visits Since Dec. 11, 2007