Saturday, September 1, 2007

When You Need to Punt...Do So!

I work very hard not to repeat sermons. I think that total originality is grossly overstated, but I believe for my mental stimulation if for nothing else, I should (and do) avoid repeating sermons. That doesn't mean I have had the courage to burn (recycle) the old ones...although I am slowly culling through the paper copies and recycling the ones I have electronic copies of (and making .pdf's of the rest).

But there are times like this weekend. It is the first Labor Day weekend I have been in town since we moved to Portland in 1999. And I intended to preach on I Corinthians 15...continuing my year-long series. But this week ended with very little to show for my efforts and realizing I was basically going to have to put a sermon on a complex text together in one day. Not a pleasant task.

So I have done what is the rare exception. I have pulled a sermon on Work from my years in Garden City, KS. It isn't a bad outline and I do believe it is very pertinent to today. And with some tweaking the illustrations can be updated. We'll see how it goes, but I expect it to go well.

I am not a total purist in many things. And as hard as I work on my preaching, there are times when the best thing to do is to punt. I had my choice between serving an unbaked entree to my people or pulling our some left overs from the freezer. These people have never heard the sermon and so it will be fresh to them. And so this weekend, that is what I am planning on doing. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Visits Since Dec. 11, 2007