Monday, October 29, 2007

SERMON REACTION QUESTIONNAIRE

Below is a sermon reaction questionnaire which I have used for several years. In my last church I used it for a number of years. I used it for a couple of year here in Portland, but for reasons I won't enumerate here, I chose to stop using it. I do think it was/is a helpful tool, however. This is just the text. There were lines to fill in and blank spaces in which people could write their answers. We typically got maybe a 20% return rate. Not great, but better than nothing. Are there forms/ways of getting feedback that you have found useful?
SERMON REACTION QUESTIONNAIRE

Please do not sign your name, but I would ask that you supply the following information:

GENDER: ___ Male ___Female

AGE ___Up to 19 years old ___20-35 ____35-50 ___50-65 ___above 65

In one sentence what did the sermon say to you?

Please indicate whether you agree or disagree with the following reactions to the sermon you heard this Sunday. This includes both the content & the delivery of the sermon. Indicate your reactions on the scale as follows:

Circle “1” for Strongly Disagree

“2” for Disagree

“3” for Uncertain

“4” for Agree

“5” for Strongly Agree

Your honesty & frankness will be most helpful to me.

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon kept my interest

1 2 3 4 5 Cal integrated the sermon into the total service of worship

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon did not inspire me

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon did not deal with and illumine the scripture chosen as the text

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon lasted too long

1 2 3 4 5 Cal used words and thought patterns in present day language

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon was not very well understood by me

1 2 3 4 5 Cal looked at or read his notes too often

1 2 3 4 5 Cal projected an attitude of love for us

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon spoke to some of my personal needs

1 2 3 4 5 Cal seemed to speak down to us

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon did not have a sufficiently forceful conclusion

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon did not initiate an encounter between God and me

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon contained points that were easy to remember

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon did not make me eager to serve God any more than I have served him up until now.

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon showed Cal had done his “homework”

1 2 3 4 5 The sermon was positive (“Good News”)

1 2 3 4 5 Cal had energy

1 2 3 4 5 Cal’s voice was clear and I could hear the words he spoke.


What was the weakest thing about the sermon?

What was the strongest thing about the sermon?

Is there a sermon topic you would like to see addressed sometime in the future?

Any other comments?

Thank you for completing this and helping Cal maintain excellence in his preaching.

No comments:

Visits Since Dec. 11, 2007