Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Maybe I Spoke Too Soon...The Denunciation Comes

image

So this morning I state my admiration that Barak Obama has "stuck with" his minister-friend Jeremiah Wright even though he has had to distance himself from his words.  Looks like I spoke too soon.

Today Obama responded publicly to his pastor, Rev. Wright's appearances on television and in speeches given over the weekend.

He said in part:

"I am outraged by the comments that were made and saddened by the spectacle that we saw yesterday,"

"The person I saw yesterday was not the person that I met 20 years ago,"

"I gave him the benefit of the doubt in my speech in Philadelphia explaining that he's done enormous good. ... But when he states and then amplifies such ridiculous propositions as the U.S. government somehow being involved in AIDS. ... There are no excuses. They offended me. They rightly offend all Americans and they should be denounced."

Wrights words DO look inflammatory...although I have not hear/read them all in detail.  The point made in my former post about African American preaching is still true.  And I do still find it a fascinating time to live when preaching is so publicly discussed in the secular media.  Maybe I'm Pollyannaish, but I believe that some good can come from it.  Anyway, that's the update from here!

No comments:

Visits Since Dec. 11, 2007