Monday, July 21, 2008

It Always Becomes Leah

Tim Keller preached on Genesis 29:15-35 (Jacobs marriages to image Leah & Rachel).  At one point he says,

"No matter what your hopes for a project, no matter what your hopes for marriage, no matter what you hopes for a career, no matter what you hope in, in the morning it will always be Leah.  No matter what you think is Rachel, it will always be Leah."

Is he being cynical, or do you agree with his words.  I can't decide.  On the one hand, I understand that if we put our ultimate trust in anything else besides Christ, it will disappoint.  But I almost feel like he overstates the case.  On the other hand, there is a part of me that totally agrees with his statement. But since I struggle with the sin of cynicism, I am cautious. 

What do you think?

2 comments:

franklin said...

Wow, what a quote!

Okay, the way I read it is that everything on earth fails to live up to our expectation. And to a great extent...this is true. We are always left longing for "more". The only thing that will ever be "Rachel" to our hearts is Christ. He never disappoints.

While this is true...

Yet, I believe it's right to expect my marriage to be Rachelesqe...if you will. I mean, the "hope" a young couple has might be somewhat unrealistic...but the hope they have for their marriage can be grounded in their hope in Christ, right?

So, while my marriage isn't "Rachel" it can be "Rachelesque"... I can find the hope of the Gospel in marriage, career, etc. So, if I am expecting the thing itself to be Christ to me then I will be disappointed...but if I realize the thing itself is given to bring me to Christ, it will never disappoint.

Anyway, that was a long answer. Sorry.

Cal Habig said...

Thanks Franklin. I think we see this similarly. I DO like your distinction between "Rachel" and "rachelesque"!

Visits Since Dec. 11, 2007