Thursday, August 14, 2008

Mark Dever's Sermon Notes

Josh Harris (who grew up here in Portland, the son of homeschool giant Gregg Harris) has acquired/is acquiring the actual preaching notes of several famous contemporary preachers.  He began posting them with the sermon notes of Mark Dever of Capitol Hill Baptist Church in Washington D.C.  It is a sermon on Isa. 52 entitled "Pierced for Our Transgressions; Crushed for Our Iniquities".  It was preached this past Jan. 8.

image The notes are quite surprising if I may say so.   I have felt guilty for sticking with manuscript preaching, but his sermons is a very tight, small print manuscript. 

(It might be helpful to open the manuscript so that my comments below make more sense).

He has hand-written all over the manuscript.  There are scratch outs and words hand written to be added in.

Dever has underlined the first word of every paragraph.  Why, I wonder?  Colin Adams at Unashamed Workman draws my attention to the notation in the introduction that it is to draw Dever's eyes down to them.  It may work for him, but it sure wouldn't work for me. 

He occasionally puts pacing notes.  About 1/3 of the way down p. 3 he writes "SLOWLY" in the margin reminding him to draw out a sentence that makes a key point.  He also has done this with about half of his conclusion. 

In other places he marks a couple of sentences with vertical lines in the margins and puts a large exclamation point in both margins. 

Periodically, there are "//" marks.  I wonder if this is a mark to pause.  It seems to be added in at points that would be appropriate for such. 

He draws around words all over the pages, but I can't figure out any rhyme or reason to them. 

 

Anyway...I am looking forward to further examples from Josh Harris.  He already has sermon manuscripts from Mike Bullmore, C.J. Mahaney , Ray Ortlund, Jr.,  and Tim Keller.  (I hate to say it, but Ortlund and Keller are the only two I have heard of on that list).

Maybe I'll comment more when others are posted. 

2 comments:

Michael said...

How can one get other copies of Mark Dever's Sermon Notes?

Cal Habig said...

Sorry. I don' t know. You might try going to his church's website & searching from there.

Visits Since Dec. 11, 2007