Thursday, September 18, 2008

What Have You Walked Away From?

image Carlin Flora in an article in Psychology Today entitled "You 2.0" quotes Barry Lubetkin, author of Bailing Out--The Healthy Way to Get Out of a Bad Relationship and Survive.  The gist of the article is on self evaluation. Lubetkin talks a lot about the fears that paralyze us.

I say all of this to quote one sentence. 

"Change equals loss, but if you don't have a series of things you've walked away from...you're probably not leading a rich life." 

I don't know exactly why that sentence has struck me. I have always had the opposite view...that a full life comes more by completing what you start and persevering through difficult times.  You fulfill your duty.  Faithfulness is more important than happiness. 

I understand that he is probably coming from a secular, not Christian perspective, but the quote strikes me as important none-the-less.

I am going to have to mull this over for a while.

What is your reaction to the quote?

1 comment:

Milton Stanley said...

My reaction? I agree to a point. Living a life of discipleship for a Christian involves walking away from lots of things: the idolatrous pursuit of money, power, and reputation; serving self; hoarding possessions; looking at church as primarily a way to meet my need; etc.

You're right, too, that much of discipleship is perseverance. The challenge, of course, is knowing what to walk away from and what to keep pushing through.

Visits Since Dec. 11, 2007