Saturday, March 21, 2009

Stats on Depression

image The World Health Organization expects depression to become the #1 cause of disability worldwide in the next 10 years.

In the U.S., 5-10% of adults currently experience symptoms of depression, and up 25% do during their lifetime, making it one of the most common conditions treated by primary care physicians.

At any given time, around 15% of American adults are taking antidepressant meds.

Studies of all types of religious groups find no evidence these people’s rates of depression differ from non-religious people. So, in a typical congregation of 200 adults, 50 will experience depression at some point, and at least 30 are currently taking antidepressants. (Christianity Today 3/09)

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I m one of those stats. I get tired of people telling me to "Go to God" or "just pray about it". In fact, im closest to God when I am depressed so Ive just accepted it as part of who I am. I dont take antidepressants though. I used to and am now very against them. I often think the reason I cant seem to beat the depression is because the antidepressants messed up my brain. I take natural stuff and it helps but it isnt a cure.

Cal Habig said...

That's interesting that you are closest to God when you are depressed. I have never thought of that possibility. Thank you for sharing.

Visits Since Dec. 11, 2007