Saturday, June 6, 2009

Book Review: Put Your Dream to the Test

imageI have said before that I have a love-hate relationship with John Maxwell. I have benefitted greatly from his tape clubs, his seminars and his books. And yet I think he, more than probably any other, bears the blame for the “corporatizing” of the American church.   He is a corporate/business expert, but has tried to form the church into that business image.

And yet it was with high hopes that I began Put Your Dream to the Test, one of Maxwell’s most recent books. And I wasn’t disappointed.  Visioning and following through on a vision have never been strong suits in my life or ministry. And yet I am at a phase of life where I realize that reviewing the principles re: visioning and working toward a vision are important.

Maxwell outlines the book in a series of 10 Questions with three sub-questions under each one related to evaluating a vision and one’s readiness to

  • The Ownership Question: Is My Dream Really My Dream?
  • The Clarity Question: Do I Clearly See My Dream?
  • The Reality Question: Am I Depending on Factors within My Control to Achieve My Dream?
  • The Passion Question: Does My Dream Compel Me to Follow It?
  • The Pathway Question: Do I Have a Strategy to Reach My Dream?
  • The People Question: Have I Included the People I Need to Realize My Dream?
  • The Cost Question: Am I Willing to Pay the Price for My Dream?
  • The Tenacity Question: Am I Moving Closer to My Dream?
  • The Fulfillment Question: Does Working Toward My Dream Bring Satisfaction?
  • The Significance Question: Does My Dream Benefit Others?

There is not a lot of new stuff here, (as with most Maxwell books…by his own admission), but it is collected in a helpful manner.  It is Maxwell’s typical blend of inspirational stories and pithy maxims. 

One of my favorites:

I will do more than belong. I will participate.

I will do more than care. I will help.

I will do more than believe. I will practice.

I will do more than be fair. I will be kind.

I will do more than forgive. I will forget.

I will do more than dream. I will work.

I will do more than teach. I will inspire.

I will do more than earn. I will enrich.

I will do more than give. I will serve.

I will do more than live. I will grow.

I will do more than suffer. I will triumph.

- William Arthur Ward

As clich├ęd as Maxwell stuff can be, I still found this to be an inspirational read.  It is a book I will keep and refer back to for needed inspiration in the future. 

You can find more information for Put Your Dream to the Test  here.

No comments:

Visits Since Dec. 11, 2007